RBS Principal’s Notes
May 5, 2017
On behalf of the RBS staff, I would like to thank everyone for all of the wonderful tributes to staff members during Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week. All of your gestures were very much appreciated. Please know that we recognize how lucky we are to work in such a supportive community.
IN THE NEWS:
Placement letters were due today, but if you send them in by Monday (May 8th), we will accept them.
Adaptive Lacrosse Clinic
A BHS Senior, Cormac McCarthy, will be holding an Adaptive Lacrosse Clinic for students with special needs in grades K-12. Cormac is a captain on the BHS lacrosse team and would like to share his knowledge and love for the game with Bedford students who have special needs. The clinic will be held on Saturday, May 13th from 9:00-10:00 AM on the BHS turf field (BHS gym, if raining). There will be adult supervisors and BHS student coaches present. Please take a look at THIS FLYER for more information. If you have any questions, and to RSVP (by May 12th), please email Cormac McCarthy at email@example.com. (Please provide your child's name and grade.)
Lettuce is Back!
Starting Monday, May 8th, the elementary school students will be able to choose a salad as an alternate to the menued entree, just as they had prior to the short lived "Lettuce Crisis.” Their favorite Romaine Caesar Side Salad will also be available to them on each pizza day!
Home Runs for Heroes
Audrey Pederson, a junior and IB Diploma candidate at BHS, is doing a project that accompanies the diploma that she and her partner student have named, "Home Runs For Heroes.” They are hosting a softball clinic that is also a fundraiser for the Wounded Warrior Project. They would like to get young athletes to register for the clinic.
All the information on the clinic is posted here:
And the link for donations is:
Executive Functioning and Hygiene Messages
Good Bosses are ready to get back to work and to be in charge of themselves and their learning after a restful vacation. Here are some helpful reminders: Try to stay in the Green Zone. Use Mindfulness Strategies to stay focused and pay attention. Use Remembering strategies to hold on to your learning. Stay Organized. Follow Directions because these will help you Prioritize what is most important and have a Plan to follow in reaching your goal.
Did you know that no part of your body grows faster than your hair? To keep your hair healthy and looking good, it’s important to wash it regularly and brush or comb it each day.
4th to 5th Grade Band Information Night
The McKelvie Music Department will be touring the elementary schools on Tuesday, May 23rd. There will be a Band Information Night on Wednesday, May 24th at 6:00pm in the McKelvie Cafeteria. There will be information for parents regarding sign-ups and instrument rentals, and instruments for students to view and hold. Please email Christa Wickham at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
1. Teacher Appreciation Week would not have been possible without the amazing parents of Riddle Brook School. Thank you to those parents who donated to this week! The teachers were beyond thrilled with the whole week and we we’re so happy that we were able to celebrate all that they do for our students.
2. Today, May 5th, is your LAST CHANCE to order your Color Blast 5K t-shirt and race kit (drawstring bag, sunglasses and individual powder back for the starting line color explosion) all for just $10. Kits and t-shirts will not be available for ordering after May 5th but you can still register online here through May 25th. *Please note that registration will also increase from $25 to $30 per registrant after May 5th.
Do you want to participate in the 5K without “doing" the 5K? Join our team of volunteers, we can guarantee- it’s going to be a blast! Click here to view and sign up for volunteer opportunities.
3. COMMUNITY MEETING - Join the PTG and the Principals from all six schools for a community forum on Tuesday, May 9th @ 9:30 at BCTV (10 Meetinghouse Road). Email us with your questions or with topics you’d like to hear about from our principals. Would you like to know about the process for classroom placement? What are competencies? How to use power school or an explanation on the grading system as your child changes schools? Let us know and that’s what we’ll talk about! This is a great opportunity to interact with the principals in a small group setting and get the facts! Email Lisa Nash at email@example.com with your questions and topic suggestions.
4. We’re excited to invite you to a PTG Community Night at the New Hampshire Fisher Cats as they take on the Portland Sea Dogs on Thursday, May 25th at 6:35 PM. Atlas Fireworks will be following the game and no school on Friday! Join us for some great family fun at the ballpark! Tickets are only $9/per person (regularly $12/pp). To order tickets, download order form and return to your school office by Friday, May 12th.
5. YANKEE CANDLE: Due to parent interest, we have reopened our Yankee Candle sale for online ordering only. Get your Easter and Mother’s Day online exclusive gifts shipped direct. Shipping is free on orders $100 or more and 40% of sales go back to the PTG. Online ordering is available through June 1st. Group Code #999965479
Hannaford Helps Bags (Bedford Bulldogs Athletic Booster Club)
Starting May 1st, the Hannaford Cause Bag program at the Hannaford store located at 4 Jenkins Rd. in Bedford will be focused on the sale of the Hannaford Helps Bags in support of the Bedford Bulldogs Athletic Booster Club. Every day counts. We hope you find the resources at Hannaford.bags4mycause.com helpful in your continued outreach. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Morgan Palmer – Hannaford Program Director at (603) 380-7309 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mother’s Day Off Event (BHS)
As part of their BHS International Baccalaureate CAS (creativity, action, service) Project, 2 students are holding a Mother's Day Off event, which provides moms with the opportunity to drop their children off at Bedford High School on May 13th for a few hours to take some well-deserved time for themselves while their children have an equally fun time. A pizza lunch will be provided.
Does your child like to take things apart, and design, color and create? Are you interested in unlocking your child's potential this summer? Camp Invention may be a great fit. This year's camp will be held at McKelvie Intermediate School July 10 - July 14 from 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM. Camp Invention is the only nationally acclaimed summer enrichment day experience for children entering grades K through 6th grade taught by certified teachers. Here's a sneak peek at what's in store for this year’s camp. https://youtu.be/9OiFeEzgJwA.
You can save $15 by registering on or before May 1st with the promo code DISCOVER15. If you have any questions, please contact the director, Courtney Cheetham at email@example.com
Pan Mass Challenge
Please take a look at this FLYER for details on the upcoming Pan Mass Challenge. This is a bicycling event that provides Dana-Farber's doctors and researchers the necessary resources to discover cures for all types of cancer. This year’s event will honor Emma Bechert, a former RBS student, who passed away this past August.
Bedford DI Fundraiser
The Ecosmith shoes, bags and belt donations continue through mid-May. All items must be placed in the blue bags inside the boxes in the lobby of your school. Ecosmith takes shoes in all conditions, even that one shoe/sneaker who has lost its mate! All clothing and fabric in regular bags can go directly into the Ecosmith bin in the parking lots.
Bedford DI appreciates your support to help these teams with their fundraising efforts for travel to Global Finals in Knoxville, TN in May.
2017/18 School Calendar
The school calendar for next year can be found HERE. The last day of school for the 2017/18 is Wednesday, June 13th.
Bedford Food Pantry – Items Needed for Children
Food Insecurity is a growing concern across the nation and right here in our own backyard. Nearly 350 adults and children in Bedford qualify for food stamps and more than 167 families in Bedford meet the income standards for the government’s free school lunch program.
If you are able to donate THESE ITEMS (these are ongoing donations), please bring them by the Bedford Food Pantry at the Bedford Presbyterian Church, 4 Church Road, Bedford, NH.
May 5 – RBS Mother/Son Luau
May 9 – Kindergarten Orientation (12:30-1:30 PM Room 218)
May 10 – Grade 1 Orientation (12:30-1:30 PM Room 218)
May 16 – Grandparents’ Day
May 16 – RBS Spring Concert (6:30 PM – BHS Theater)
May 23 – Grade 4 McKelvie Band Presentation (9:20 AM)
May 23 – McKelvie 5th Grade Parent Info. Night (6:30-8:00 PM McKelvie School)
May 26 – Workshop Day (NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS)
May 29 – Memorial Day Observance (NO SCHOOL)
May 31 – Field Day – Grades 1 & 2 (Rain Date – June 2)
June 1 – Field Day – Grades 3 & 4 (Rain Date – June 5)
June 2 – Wild Encounters (Grade 3)
June 6&7 – State House Field Trip (Grade 4)
June 7 – BHS Senior Send Off/Clap Out
June 9 – Eyes on Owls (Grade 4)
June 9 – Kindergarten Beach Day
June 15 – Bedford Town Library Summer Reading Program Presentation
June 15 – Kindergarten Graduation Dress Rehearsal
June 16 – Kindergarten Graduation
June 19 – Last Day of School (Dismissal at 12:20 PM)