RBS Principal’s Notes
February 3, 2017Today was a festive day at RBS! Staff members and students were celebrating the 100th day of school as well as cheering on the Patriots for the Super Bowl!
Below are pictures from our 100th Day Celebrations, as well as our Patriots fans!
Mrs. Zimmerman’s Kindergarten Class
Mrs. Porat’s 1st Grade Class
Mrs. Fay’s 2nd Grade Class
Mrs. Dubreuil’s 2nd Grade Class
Grandma Blaine’s class of 100-year-old 2nd grade students #1
Grandma Blaine’s class of 100-year-old 2nd grade students #2
Grandmas Blaine & Dubreuil
Ms. Paquin’s 3rd Grade Class
IN THE NEWS:Father/Daughter Dance – Tonight’s the Night!
Our annual Father/Daughter Dance is tonight from 6:00-8:00 PM in the RBS gymnasium. If you’d still like to attend but didn’t purchase a ticket, you may do so at the door ($25/father and daughter(s)). Bring your dollar bills for some “extras” – raffles, flowers, face painting, etc.
Riddle Brook School yearbooks are currently for sale for $20. Checks can be made out to Riddle Brook School and returned in the order envelope provided, or ordered online (no additional fee) at the following link: www.schoolannual.com. Select “Parents: Buy Your Student’s Yearbook” and enter the school information.
The order deadline is March 14th....please be sure to order your yearbook prior to the deadline.
February Spirit Week
Below is the list for Spirit Week (February 20-24):
Monday, Feb. 20 - Sports Day
Tuesday, Feb. 21 - Future Day
Wednesday, Feb. 22 - Wacky Wednesday
Thursday, Feb. 23 - Retro Day (dress from your favorite decade)
Friday, Feb. 24 - RBS Spirit Day
The Annual RBS Read-a-thon will take place during the weeks of February 13th and 20th. Students will be learning about it during their library classes next week.
Executive Functioning and Mindfulness Messages
Bosses have a lot to remember, especially when you are trying to be the Boss of yourself and your learning. REMEMBERING is cementing information into your brain and making it stick. Let’s talk about some remembering tools and strategies. The most important tools include active practice: read, say, do 3 to 5 times. For example, when you have new spelling words, say each word aloud and spell it aloud while writing it 3 to 5 times. This should help you to remember it. Also, complete your homework and complete your morning work. When you do these things consistently, your brain actually makes faster connections and you will get smarter “brain wrinkles.”
Mindfulness takes practice.
Just like anything you want to learn, Mindfulness takes practice. Try this Mindfulness exercise for one minute at the beginning of every day. Sit tall in a chair with quiet hands in your lap. Have your eyes look at one point in the room. Have your ears be listening. Your mouth should be quiet. Can you keep your whole body calm; not moving, wiggling, or talking for one minute? If you practice every day, you will be able to have a mindful body.
1. The PTG is hosting a New Family Welcome Coffee for all families that are new to the Bedford School District this school year. The event is being held on Monday, February 6th at the Bedford Town Library (lower level). Representatives from each school will be available to answer questions. Your children are welcome to attend, and light refreshments will be served. If you are interested in attending this event or if you would like more information, please contact Aneesa Fallon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Thank you to everyone who came out to Barnes and Noble on South Willow Street this past weekend to support the PTG.
3. Announcing an exciting new fundraiser…. Yankee Candle is here!! Enjoy the same quality candles in a variety of scents and other great products from Yankee Candle while 40% of the sales go back to the PTG. Families K-6 will be receiving a color brochure in backpacks this week; Lurgio and BHS families can find brochures in the front offices or simply shop online using this link (and feel free to share the link with family and friends who enjoy Yankee Candle, anywhere in the US). Yankee Candles make great gifts for any occasion and are made right here in New England. Online orders will be shipped directly to the purchaser and are free on purchases over $100.
4. Community Event – Save the Date: PTG 5K Color Run/Walk – Sunday, June 4th (more info coming soon)
5. The PTG and Lurgio families provided a light dinner for the Lurgio staff at Parent/Teacher conferences this week. A big “thank you” to everyone who contributed. The staff was very appreciative!
Bedford School District Deliberative Session Tuesday, February 7th
All registered voters in Bedford are invited to participate in the Bedford School District’s Deliberative Session on Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 7:00 PM in the Bedford High School Theater. Voters will discuss the Bedford School Board's Warrant, which includes the proposed budget and articles for contracts with teachers, paraprofessionals, and custodians. The voters will either affirm or revise the School Board Warrant at this meeting. For reference, here is the full budget webpage and the 2017 Warrant.
Lurgio Players Present - Beauty and the Beast
Please join us as the Lurgio Players proudly present Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” on Friday, February 10 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, February 11 at both 2:00 and 7:00 PM in the BHS Theater. Ticket prices are $7 for adults and $5 for students, and can be purchased at the door or online at http://www.seatyourself.biz/rosslurgio. We hope to see you there!
REMINDERS:Kindergarten and 1st Grade Registration (2017 – 2018)
You may pick up registration packets starting Monday, February 6th, and return them by Thursday, March 9th. K+ packets will be available on Wednesday, February 15th. A TBD deposit (this will be determined on February 13th) is required with the K+ registration.
- A child must attain his/her 5th birthday on or before September 30, 2017 to be eligible for kindergarten.
- A child must attain his/her 6th birthday on or before September 30, 2017 to be eligible for first grade.
Kitchen Work - OPPORTUNITY
Are you interested in slowly getting back to work while keeping the hours of your children? If so, click HERE.
Author Gordon Korman Community Event
Monday, March 6th at 4:00 PM at McKelvie
Mark Your Calendars! Gordon Korman, acclaimed author of young adult and children's literature, will be coming to McKelvie on Monday, March 6 at 4:00 PM. Please join us for a book signing and presentation around Payback, the latest book from Mr. Korman's Masterminds series. For more information, please follow this link. A big thank you to the Bedford PTG for their sponsorship! We look forward to seeing everyone and are delighted to have an opportunity to bring such an amazing author to Bedford.
Questions? Please contact, Lee Webb, Reading Specialist, at email@example.com, or Jodi Parsons, Guidance Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING EVENTS:February 3 – RBS Father/Daughter Dance 6:00-8:00 PM RBS Gym
February 15 – RBS Invention Convention (Snow Date – February 22nd)
February 16 – RBS Cabaret 6:30 PM – RBS Gym (Snow Date – February 21st)
February 24 – All School Meeting
February 27-March 3 – Winter Vacation
March 9 – RBS Math/Literacy Night 5:30-6:30 PM (Gym and Library) (Snow Date – March 16th)March 14 – District Workshop Day (School/Town Voting Day) – No School for Students
March 31 – RBS Family Fun Night
March 31 – End of Quarter 3
April 3-6 – PTG Book Fair (Rooms 216/218)
April 3-14 – Parent/Teacher Conferences
April 6 – RBS 4th Grade Play (RBS Gym)
April 7 – Official Report Cards available on Power School
April 10-18 – Passover
April 14 – Good Friday
April 16 – Easter
April 24-28 – Spring Vacation