RBS Principal’s Notes
February 10, 2017
I hope everyone enjoyed the snow day yesterday. If nothing else, it certainly is beautiful outside! For all of you who are keeping track, this is snow day #4 for the school year, which means that, as of today, our last day of school would be Friday, June 16th.
IN THE NEWS:
Chipotle Fundraiser for RBS
On Thursday, February 23rd from , Chipotle’s Restaurant in Bedford is offering 50% of their net sales to RBS. I have attached the flyer below. You can present the flyer, verbally communicate to the cashier that you are supporting the fundraiser, or can show them the flyer on your mobile device. We appreciate your support!
Riddle Brook School is proud to present RHYTHMICS in RBS AFTERDARK, a cabaret-style show. It will take place on our school stage this coming Thursday evening, starting at . Everyone is invited to this free concert featuring the whole fourth grade chorus, and many chorus members performing some of our favorite solos and duets from well-known Disney and Broadway musicals. Refreshments will be served to you as you enjoy the concert from decorated tables scattered throughout the multi-purpose room. Please join us for this one-hour of musical delight! That's Thursday, February 16th in the gym at .
I had mentioned in last week’s notes that our Read-a-thon would take place during the weeks of February 13th and 20th. However, due to our 2 snow days and 1 delay this week, we are going to postpone it until March.
Executive Functioning and Mindfulness Messages
Bosses have a lot to remember. Here is another remembering tool or strategy. Use “crazy phrases”: Make up a wacky sentence to help you remember names, places or events in a specific order. Here’s one: “Never eat soggy waffles.” will help you remember the points on a compass - north east, south, west.
Help yourself to be mindful, attentive and calm by focusing on your breathing.
Place one hand close to your nose (not touching) and one hand on your belly. As you breathe in, feel your belly expand. As you exhale, feel the warm air hit your hand. Focus on this breath for one minute. It's OK when thoughts sometimes come into the mind uninvited. Try to exhale that thought away.
B.E.E.P. 2017/2018 Open Enrollment
For information about our district’s Early Education Program (located at Memorial School) for preschool-aged students, please click here.
1. Announcing an exciting new fundraiser…. Yankee Candle is here!! Enjoy the same quality candles in a variety of scents and other great products from Yankee Candle while 40% of the sales go back to the PTG. Families K-6 received a color brochure in backpacks; Lurgio and BHS families can find brochures in the front offices or simply shop online using this link (and feel free to share the link with family and friends who enjoy Yankee Candle, anywhere in the US). Yankee Candles make great gifts for any occasion and are made right here in New England. Online orders will be shipped directly to the purchaser and are free on purchases over $100.
2. Community Event – Save the Date: PTG 5K Color Run/Walk – Sunday, June 4th (more info coming soon).
Kindergarten and 1st Grade Registration (2017 – 2018)
You may pick up registration packets starting Monday, February 6th, and return them by Thursday, March 9th. K+ packets will be available on Wednesday, February 15th. A TBD deposit (this will be determined on February 13th) is required with the K+ registration.
- A child must attain his/her 5th birthday on or before to be eligible for kindergarten.
- A child must attain his/her 6th birthday on or before to be eligible for first grade.
Kindergarten students who are currently enrolled at RBS (or anywhere in the district) do not need to register for 1st grade.
Riddle Brook School yearbooks are currently for sale for $20. Checks can be made out to Riddle Brook School and returned in the order envelope provided, or ordered online (no additional fee) at the following link: www.schoolannual.com. Select “Parents: Buy Your Student’s Yearbook” and enter the school information.
The order deadline is March 14th...please be sure to order your yearbook prior to the deadline.
February Spirit Week
Below is the list for Spirit Week ():
- Sports Day
- Future Day
- Wacky Wednesday
- Retro Day (dress from your favorite decade)
- RBS Spirit Day
Lurgio Players Present - Beauty and the Beast
Please join us as the Lurgio Players proudly present Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” on Friday, February 10 at 7:00 PM and Saturday, February 11 at both http://www.seatyourself.
biz/rosslurgio. We hope to see you there! in the BHS Theater. Ticket prices are $7 for adults and $5 for students, and can be purchased at the door or online at
Author Gordon Korman Community Event
Monday, March 6th at 4:00 PM at McKelvie
Mark Your Calendars! Gordon Korman, acclaimed author of young adult and children's literature, will be coming to McKelvie on link. A big thank you to the Bedford PTG for their sponsorship! We look forward to seeing everyone and are delighted to have an opportunity to bring such an amazing author to Bedford.. Please join us for a book signing and presentation around Payback, the latest book from Mr. Korman's Masterminds series. For more information, please follow this
Questions? Please contact, Lee Webb, Reading Specialist, at email@example.com, or Jodi Parsons, Guidance Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 15 – RBS Invention Convention (Snow Date – February 22nd)
February 16 – RBS Cabaret – RBS Gym (Snow Date – February 21st)
– All School Meeting
– Winter Vacation
– RBS Math/Literacy Night (Gym and Library) (Snow Date – March 16th)
– District Workshop Day (School/Town Voting Day) – No School for Students
– RBS Family Fun Night
– End of Quarter 3
– PTG Book Fair (Rooms 216/218)
– Parent/Teacher Conferences
– RBS 4th Grade Play (RBS Gym)
– Official Report Cards available on Power School
– Spring Vacation